Crochet: American and British crochet terms

Posted on

You would think that English speaking countries all use the same crochet terms, but unfortunately, that is not the case.

Generally speaking, UK and Australian patterns use the same crochet terms but some terms in American patterns are slightly different.

To make matters worse, there are a few terms that are the same but mean different things! So it is important to make sure you know which terms your pattern uses.

One clear give-away is the use of the term "single crochet", which only exists in American crochet terminology.

So if you encounter the term "single crochet", make sure you translate it to UK/AU conventions if that is what you usually use.

Here is a handy list of common crochet terms and their UK/AU vs US counterparts:

UK/AU terms and abbreviations US terms and abbreviations
chain (ch) chain (ch)
slip stitch (ss) slip stitch (ss)
double crochet (dc) single crochet (sc)
half treble (htr) half double (hdc)
treble (tr) double dc (dc)
double treble (dtr) treble (trb)
triple treble (ttr) double treble (dtr)

Share this post

← Older Post Newer Post →